Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Same-day crowns are the ideal solution for busy people. Southgate, MI, dentist Dr. Jason Cohen answers a few commonly asked questions about the crowns?
What are same-day crowns?
Same-day crowns look just like the porcelain crowns made in dental laboratories. They're hollow, tooth-shaped restorations designed to encase a fragile, damaged or flawed tooth. The porcelain crown process requires two appointments, but you'll only need to visit the dentist once if you choose a same-day crown. In fact, your crown will be made while you wait.
How can crowns be made so quickly?
Creating a porcelain crown in a dental lab is a time-intensive process. In most cases, patients have to wait about two weeks to receive their completed crown. Same-day crowns are created during your first and only visit using a milling machine located in our Southgate, MI, office. The machine fashions your crown from a block of ceramic or resin using detailed instructions from the CAD/CAM software.
What are the benefits of same-day crowns?
Same-day crowns offer a more convenient option for many people because they can be fitted in just one visit. Although crowns usually offer an excellent fit, problems do occur occasionally. If you choose a porcelain crown, you'll have to wait an additional two weeks to receive another crown if there's a problem. Should any issues occur with your same-day crown, a new restoration can be created during your visit.
Many patients find the same-day crown procedure more comfortable. Thanks to digital imaging capabilities, messy putty is no longer part of the impression process. Instead, a special camera will be used to create a digital impression of your mouth. Once your dentist makes a few tweaks to the design on the computer, the impression will be sent to the milling machine.
Same-day crowns eliminate the need for temporary crowns. These temporary restorations cover teeth after they've been reduced in size in preparation for a crown, but are somewhat fragile. When you have a temporary crown, you must avoid eating hard, tough or sticky foods that can break or loosen the crown. Luckily, you'll never have to change your eating habits when you choose a same-day crown. As soon as the crown is attached, you can resume eating your favorite foods.
Are you interested in learning if a same-day crown is right for you? Call Southgate, MI, dentist Dr. Jason Cohen at (734) 283-1263 to schedule your appointment.
Are you an adult who is missing one or more permanent teeth? If so, then our Southgate, MI, dentist Dr. Jason Cohen is here to tell you how dental implants could fix this problem and potentially restore your smile for the rest of your life.
What are dental implants?
If you’ve been looking for a long-term replacement for your missing tooth or teeth then look no further than dental implants. These small metal posts are designed to take the place of tooth roots and are placed within the jawbone where your missing tooth used to be.
An implant is designed to support a dental crown, a restoration that is designed to look just like the real crown of a tooth, while multiple implants can also be placed along the jawbone to support a dental bridge or dentures.
How do dental implants work?
In order for implants to take the place of tooth roots this will require a minor in-office procedure so that our Southgate, MI, restorative dentist can embed the titanium implant into the jawbone. Through special computer software, we will map out exactly where the implant needs to be placed. From there, we will drill a small hole into the jawbone where the implant will go.
After surgery, your mouth will take several months to fully heal. During the healing process, the jawbone and tissue will mend around the implant, making it a permanent part of the jawbone. Implants are the only restorations that naturally fuse together with tissue and bone, making it the only long-term restoration for replacing missing teeth.
Of course, once the jawbone and implant have fully fused together this provides a stable and resilient foundation from which to support a dental crown or other fixed tooth replacement.
Since surgery is necessary and there are several steps involved in getting implants this isn’t something that will just happen overnight. It’s important that our patients understand that it takes time and patience to get this restoration but that it’s well worth all the waiting in the end when you have an artificial tooth that functions and looks just like a real tooth.
Are you interested in getting dental implants? Want to find out if this is the tooth replacement you’ve been looking for? Then it’s time you scheduled an appointment with Cohen Modern Dentistry in Southgate, MI, to learn more.
State-of-the-art dental solutions have become the norm in many dental offices. In the past, repairing gaps in your smile was a long, \rigorous process. However, with Cohen Modern Dentistry in Southgate, MI, you can fill in your gaps and restore functionality and aesthetics to your smile. Find out more about these dental services with Dr. Jason Cohen.
Dental Services in Southgate to Repair Your Gaps
- CEREC: CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. This system allows dentists to cut out the laboratory step necessary for traditional porcelain dental restorations. This step normally takes about two weeks, requiring a second dental appointment and additional time off work or school. CEREC allows your dentist to complete your restoration in a single dental appointment.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants lie within the jawbone of the mouth. Surgically implanted, the implant itself takes the place of a missing tooth’s root, providing a sturdy foundation for a replacement tooth. This happens due to a process called osseointegration, where the bone itself grows around the Implants are often regarded as the most effective and permanent tooth replacement solution.
- Dental Bridges: Bridges are another tooth replacement option available at Cohen Modern Dentistry. While implants require an adequate amount of bone to remain securely in the mouth, bridges rely on the healthy natural teeth surrounding a gap to anchor into place. The bridge, made from porcelain either in a dental laboratory or using CEREC technology, consists of a prosthetic tooth with a dental crown on either side. This restoration requires the preparation of the teeth to receive the crowns.
- Veneers: Dental veneers are a versatile dental restoration which can slightly tweak a chipped or discolored tooth or completely overhaul your smile. Also made from porcelain, veneers fit over the surface of a tooth to cover its imperfections and provide an improved appearance. Patients who have chipped, cracked, slightly misaligned, slightly gapped, discolored or stained teeth can benefit from dental veneers.
- Invisalign: Invisalign is a method of orthodontic treatment which straightens your teeth and corrects your bite discreetly. Invisalign uses aligner trays rather than metal brackets and wires. Its trays are made from clear plastic and virtually invisible, allowing patients to wear them without those around them noticing.
Repairing the gaps in your smile is as easy as asking Dr. Cohen about the different dental services offered at Cohen Modern Dentistry in Southgate, MI. Call (734) 283-1263 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Cohen today!
Find out the many benefits to choosing dental implants.
Are you dealing with one or more missing permanent teeth? Do you maintain good oral hygiene despite dealing with tooth loss? If you said yes to these questions then our Southgate, MI, dentist, Dr. Jason Cohen, may have just the answer you’ve been looking for to treat your tooth loss: dental implants.
What is a dental implant?
An implant looks like a small metal post or screw, which our Southgate general dentist will place into the jawbone. During the procedure, the dental implant is placed under the gumline, and over the course of several months, the bone will begin to meld together with the implant to form a strong foundation.
Why should I consider dental implants?
If you are missing one or more permanent teeth then there is no better time to consider getting dental implants then now. Implants are the closest you’ll come to having your natural teeth back. Plus, implants can replace one, several or even all of your teeth. Patients who want to replace multiple teeth but worry that dentures won’t be stable enough or provide them with the smile they want should strongly consider implant-supported dentures.
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement that is designed to last a lifetime if you are dedicated to the health and maintenance of your implant, as well as your oral health. Ideal candidates will be non-smoking adults who are otherwise healthy. Those dealing with cavities or gum disease will need to have these conditions treated and under control before your implant treatment can begin.
It’s also important to note that getting dental implants can take time. Unlike bridges or dentures, getting implants can take several months to complete. If you are dedicated to waiting for your implants then we know you’ll be happy with the results in the end.
Are you ready to give your smile the makeover it needs and fill those gaps left over from tooth loss? If so, then Cohen Modern Dentistry in Southgate, MI, is ready to help make that all possible. Call our office to schedule your initial consultation.